[rescue] IBM 6611-170

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Feb 16 12:01:13 CST 2002

On February 16, dave venable wrote:
> I rescued a 6611-170, When I first looked at I found a sticker inside that
> said 7013-580, this would make it a rs6000 of some kind. After getting it
> home and looking carefully it turns out to be 6611-170.
>
> Is this a rs6000 with specialized cards? The IBM docs call it a
> communications controller. The description sounds like it's a router.
>
> Can this beastie be used for anything other than a router?

  This is a very rare machine that was specially configured to be used
as a router on the original ANS NSFnet backbone.  Please please PLEASE
do not recycle it or part it out.  A lot of my personal history is
tied up in a machine just like that one...I would very much like to
get ahold of it if you'd be willing to part with it.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire