[rescue] SGI, MIPS, and IA-64

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 15 18:22:23 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> >   Wow, six whole instructions...one more than the (several year old)
> > MIPS R10K.  Isn't Intel wonderful?
>
> Err, the R10k only has 5 execution units.  I'm assuming that they operate
> in parallel, but I can't seem to find any sources that say this explicitly.

The R10K can perform 2 Integer, 2 FP instructions plus one load/store in
parallel. So it is able to schedule 5 instructions and retire 4 per clock
cycle.

All information about the R10K can be obtained from the horse's mouth:

http://www.sgi.com/processors/r10k/tech_info/

The R10K is a beautiful design.