[rescue] OT: B0rked educational system (was: Purdue/PSU)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 15 15:26:57 CST 2002

I'm not a huge fan of the educational *system* in this country
(most of what I learned before age 21 I learned in spite of
formal education), but I must take issue with some of your
broad brush strokes:

> Overpaid,
My wife is an elementary school teacher with a bachelor's and
master's in her specialty, and 10+ years experience.  In most
white collar jobs she'd make half again as much as she does--
in my line of work perhaps twice what she does.  When we were
looking at moving to Florida just after we got married, the
quoted salary for those quals was $25k a year.  Unbelievable.

> unionized
I have a very negative opinion of most unions, so I won't
argue this point--aside from historical reasons, most current
unions in this country are more about bargaining and politics
than about actually helping the worker.  My brother-in-law
*did* convince me that unions aren't all bad, both by discussion
and by deed.

> can't-be-fired teachers
There are good and bad points to this--same as there are good
and bad points to US Government civil service jobs.  Both my
parents retired from the civil service--the fact that way too
many folks in that category should be forceably removed from
their chairs does not make *all* of them worthless or suitable
for denigration.

The principle of tenure once had a point, and still might at
higher levels of education.  If education was actually
important enough to pay well, then folks might choose to do
it for a living.  Another comparison is to the military--"sea
pay" is all very well and good, but a poor substitute for time
with ones family (or a chance to meet someone and *start* a
family).

If you ever want an eye-opening experience, become a volunteer
or a substitute teacher--some kids are wonderful while other
kids (and some parents) can make a teacher's day pretty bad.
Even the best teachers.

> and 1 admin person for every 1 teacher in a classroom is maybe
> not so good.
I don't know of any school district that's this exaggerated...but
bureaucracies increase to fill the money allotted to them.  I *do*
believe that there's a need to better educate people in this
country, and there are about 200 million different opinions on
how best to do it.  I wish we could pick the 10 best *new* ways
and start trying them in an organized fashion, as opposed to
some of the things I see in the news.

> Read up on the actual history of American education and you will find
> that it is based on the Prussian model - the same model that led
> Germany to the formation of the Third Reich.  Not good.

It's difficult to see that the Prussian model of education led
clearly to the Third Reich.  In fact, I would list it (at the
*most*) as one of the minor contributing factors.  The current
educational system in this country is perhaps partially derived
from the old Prussian model.  Therefore, what's your point?
Are you trying to imply that our current educational system
will lead to a Thousand Year Right-Wing Conspiracy in this
country?

Here's my proposal:  Allow continued campaign contributions of "soft
money" but require all such donations to be registered (as they are
now) *and* require 2/3 of every dollar to go to education.  1/3 in
the tax district of the company or organization that's making the
"donation" and 1/3 as directed by those receiving the contribution--
and then publish *those* amounts (and destinations) as well.

Not saying it would fix everything, or anything at all--but it sure
would *change* things--and who knows, maybe the pig will learn to
sing?

  --Rip