OT: Purdue/PSU, was [rescue] ss2 under load

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Feb 15 14:53:24 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:11:48PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> An educated populace is a public good, no argument there.  Overpaid,
> unionized, can't-be-fired teachers and 1 admin person for every 1
> teacher in a classroom is maybe not so good.

Agreed on everything apart from the unionised bit.  There's nowt wrong with
having people in a union.

> > And it couldn't be that the students are getting out of their schools
> > what they put in or what they deserve. Don't confuse "going to school"
> > with "getting an education" and "getting an education" with "learning".
> Then why subsidize lackluster students?

Because it is not possible to distinguish between students who choose to
be lacklustre or those who have lacklustreness thrust upon them by
incompetent teachers and administrators.  Especially if there are no
mechanisms for changing said teachers and admins.

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart