[rescue] Grrr.... GTK+

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Feb 15 12:11:36 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:25:48AM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but is GTK+ just incredibly
> stupid, or am I missing something?

I personally like GTK+ quite a bit.

> I was figuring I might do some playing with GNU Smalltalk, and it mentioned
> it CAN be compiled against GTK+... I figured, "why not?".

Ooh.  I didn't know that.  I'll have to try it sometime.

> Here's what I get when ./configure bombs out:
>
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
> *** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> ***
> *** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package that
> *** came with the system with the command
> ***
> ***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
> *** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
>
> --
>
> Now...  glib is already installed, in the right place.  Should I REALLY
> have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get a stupid test program to RUN?!?
> I mean, doesn't gcc have an option to give a search path to finished
> binaries to look for its shared libraries?  Am I on crack, or are they?

Is this a linux box?  And when you say glib is in the right place, what do you
mean?  Usually I let glib install itself where it wants to, and usually this
means that it installs itself in a location that isn't in the linker path
already.  What I do is modify ld.so.conf to include the new path. This solution
might be linux specific, but I prefer it to modifying the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
some reason. Glib seems to be happy about installing pretty much anywhere,
but other programs can be a pain if glib isn't in the default location.

I think part of the problem is that different linux distro's put glib and GTK
in different locations.  Further, the different pacakges (like the irix
packages and solaris package) can be again different.  So people who write
software tend to build the make files in a way that expects it to be in a
certain place, and people who install glib by hand tend to run into trouble
between compiling software, and installing packaged software that expects it
to be in a different place.  From what I can see, this isn't really glib
specific problem.

--
Joshua D. Boyd