OT: Purdue/PSU, was [rescue] ss2 under load

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Feb 15 07:53:01 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:29:51AM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> odd. i'm at purdue, and well...  personally, i feel cheated in my
> education.  I came here to learn.  it took me a year to figure out i was
> at the wrong place.  In my experience, college teaches you how to do
> what you're told without question, how to be subordinate.  I'm in the
> computer technology program, and all they teach is microsoft crap.

Yes, most Canadian and American education is focused on indoctriation
and training you to respond appropriately to authority.  Not too much
on thinking for yourself.

Why else do you think politicians continue to throw money at publik
skools... they are getting EXACTLY the results they want.

> great there either)  I'm truly amazed at the idiots who get degrees.
> It's almost as is the goal is to make you lose so much respect for the
> degree that by the time you get it you consider it worthless.  And the
> students here are told that they're the total shit, and have ridiculous
> egos that match those of the professors.

Wow.  Coming from a company where the clueless CTO was from Purdue,
this explains a lot.  My experience with the CTO definitely matches
what you are saying.

This is a CTO that was having rapturous ecstasy over something called
"Chrome for Web pages" aka "Chromeffects" that MS had designed.  It
was such a bad idea that it never shipped, only spent a lot of time in
beta.

And it was blatantly obvious to anyone who had a clue about the Web
that it was a bad idea.  We're talking 1998 timeframe here folks, not
exactly the early days of the Web.

But hey, it's from MS, it's going to be great, right?

./patrick