[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 15 01:58:08 CST 2002

> > Grr, another crash.  Maybe extreme or XZ would be so bad... Oh and when I said
> > settling for SI, I meant I2 SI.
>
> I2 SI and Octane SI are the same thing are they not?

Same GFX subsystem, but a -way- different system architecture.  I upgraded
from an I2 SI to an Octane SI, both running R10k CPUs (the former at
175MHz, the latter at 195MHz).  The difference is unbelievable.
-Everything- is roughly twice as fast, and the system is just soooo much
more snappy.

The I2 has a memory bandwidth problem due to the fact that it was left
as-designed in 1992.  SGI just popped in the supporting circuitry to run
the R10k, giving it very lackluster performance for such a kick-ass piece
of silicon.

About the only way the two machines are comparable, performance-wise, is
in 3D.  Everything else benefits from fatter memory pipes, the X-BOW,
faster SCSI, faster Ethernet, etc.

If I can bring myself to part with it (my first 64-bit machine), I might
have an I2/SI for sale in a month or two.

--Jonathan