[rescue] SMP on Open/NetBSD (was: Re: FSCKing OpenBSD!)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Feb 14 16:05:47 CST 2002

On February 14, David Passmore wrote:
> >   NetBSD has SMP support on Alpha, x86, and VAX.  SPARC is really
> > close but not working yet.
>
> C'mon Dave, don't get anybody's hopes up. I've been hearing NetBSD SMP
> support for SPARC is really close since 1996.

  Uhh, what?  The SPARC-specific code wasn't even started until
sometime last year.

  The vast majority of NetBSD's SMP support is machine-independent,
which is why it took so long.  Now that most of the work is done, all
that remains is the machine-specific stuff for each architecture.  To
wit, VAX SMP support came a matter of weeks after the first SMP
platform, Alpha.

   -Dave

--
Dave McGuire