[rescue] ss2 under load

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Feb 14 14:54:01 CST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:30:02PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> As Sun systems go the SS2 isn't even particularly good at remaining
> responsive under heavy load, at least not with any release version of
> NetBSD (-current is much better though -- close to SunOS again!)
>
> Of course the more disks you have and the faster they are, and the more
> memory you have, the better the system will work overall.

Well, after some finagling, I have 1 old segate 480meg drive in the machine,
and only 40megs of Ram.

I thought that the SS2 was supposed to be better than the IP? machines, plus
obviously the 1 and 1+.  Till now, no sparc I ever used had a load above 1
for more than an instant or 2.  Most of my sparc experience has been on 5s,
a 10 and a 330.

--
Joshua D. Boyd