[rescue] Re: BIND8/9, was FSCKing OpenBSD!

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Feb 14 14:08:07 CST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:49:40AM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > > I build a new box for a nameserver, using Openbsd 3.0, because it's
> > > supposed to be fast AND secure.  Then (after I get the box built) I
> > > find out that not only does it only have BIND4 on it, but the only
> > > binary package offered for OpenBSD 3.0 for Bind is BIND9.  all my
> > > stuff is in BIND8, and besides, I d'wanna learn BIND9, I just want
> > > another secondary nameserver...
> >
> > I can't help but to wonder. What (beside the new and finally enforced
> > TTL field and rndc) is so different in bind9?
>
> FWIW, I found the change from BIND8 to BIND9 relatively painless...

Me too. That's just what I meant by that =)

Though I understand sticking into just a bit older major release. I'm
not arguing, just wondering since bind8 and 9 are so similiar and it
sounds above like doing big changes is not an option.

--
False is just one of Wouter van Oortmerssen's many languages,
and is named after his favourite Boolean value.