[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 14 08:30:18 CST 2002

Various people having said various things:

> > I build a new box for a nameserver, using Openbsd 3.0, because it's
> > supposed to be fast AND secure.  Then (after I get the box built) I
> > find out that not only does it only have BIND4 on it, but the only
> > binary package offered for OpenBSD 3.0 for Bind is BIND9.  all my
> > stuff is in BIND8, and besides, I d'wanna learn BIND9, I just want
> > another secondary nameserver...
Hmm.  Downloaded source, ran configure --with-openssl, make, make install.
I gather you didn't want to compile because the system in question was
really slow?  If you really want BIND 9 binaries for OpenBSD/SPARC,
let me know and I'll package some up.

> I can't help but to wonder. What (beside the new and finally enforced
> TTL field and rndc) is so different in bind9?

BIND 9 is a *complete* re-write, more-or-less from scratch,
incorporating a lot of lessons learned and with significant
architectural changes.  For one example:  BIND 8 and previous
would never take advantage of more than one processor--while
BIND 9 has full POSIX threads support.  Some of the other
architectural changes in BIND 9 were needed to support DNSSEC--and
if you want to do anything with DNSSEC at all (other than perhaps
TSIG for zone transfers) then you should be running BIND 9.

The only reason BIND 9 isn't called "dnsd" is that one of the entities
providing funding had earmarked it for "BIND development"--and it was
easier to keep the name than to change it and reflect reality.  The
*real* numbering should have been something like:

   BIND 9.0.0  -->  BIND:TNG  v0.9
   BIND 9.1.0  -->  BIND:TNG  v1.0
   BIND 9.2.0  -->  BIND:TNG  v1.1

which means that 9.2.1 will be just about ready for Prime Time.  The
root servers, however, look to be staying on 8.2.5 for the immediate
future.

  --Rip