[rescue] FSCKing OpenBSD!

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Feb 14 04:45:20 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:07:01PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> I build a new box for a nameserver, using Openbsd 3.0, because it's
> supposed to be fast AND secure.  Then (after I get the box built) I
> find out that not only does it only have BIND4 on it, but the only
> binary package offered for OpenBSD 3.0 for Bind is BIND9.  all my
> stuff is in BIND8, and besides, I d'wanna learn BIND9, I just want
> another secondary nameserver...

I can't help but to wonder. What (beside the new and finally enforced
TTL field and rndc) is so different in bind9?

> Anyway, I go for the ports tree (ports is your friend...) and 'make
> install' ... kernel panic.  Okay, maybe a bad download, so I delete
> the .gz and 'make clean' and start over (yes, the MD5 is OK).  Kernel
> panic.  : |

Kernel?!

> Okay-fine.  I go to the net and download the latest and greatest BIND8
> sources, Untar them, check the dependencies... ok there... set up the
> environment, make links - make depend - make all - ... - Kernel Panic.

There's definitely something fishy in that.

> Screw OpenBSD.  I'm going back to NetBSD.

Suit yourself.

--
I trust the cut&paste under Win2k's telnet about as far as I can comfortably
spit a rat.