[rescue] netbsd error

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed Feb 13 19:55:32 CST 2002

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 07:51 pm, you wrote:
> I'm getting errors under heavy disk usage on my SS2 running NetBSD 1.5.1
> on a 1 gig drive.
>
> Feb 13 19:52:14 border /netbsd: sd0(esp0:3:0):  Check Condition on CDB:
> 0x08 1a 70 f0 10 00 Feb 13 19:52:15 border /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Media
> Error
<snip>

> Is there anyway to fix this other than buying yet another drive and
> delaying the project further?

Sure, you could use the scsi control commands to force sparing of the
affected blocks, which if the automatic sector sparing has already used the
spares for that track would cause the whole track to be spared, which if the
spare track for that zone has already been used will cause the entire
cylinder to be spared, yadda, yadda, yadda...

How important is the project?  I mean once those drives start with that
stuff, it only gets worse.  About nine months ago, I had a production machine
that started throwing one of those every month or so, then it one or two
every month, then the machine would lock up and have to be powercycled
occasionally, and the bad blocks reassigned, then it was happening once every
week or two, and then within the space of the last month, the machine just
became unbootable, even hammering on it from a VT...

Good thing I had tape backup, and the machine wasn't too important (NAT box
at work, so the secretaries can surf the web...)

If it's important, replace the drive early.

George