[rescue] IBM :: Different

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed Feb 13 08:57:10 CST 2002

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 04:13 am, you wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > > The way POWER4 systems are organized is that they have two cores on
> > > each chip.  Each core has 512kB/512kB level 1 cache.  The module has an
> > > 8MB (or is it 10MB?) level 2 cache for both cores, and the processor
> > > board (with two POWER4's) has 128MB level 3 cache.
> >
> > Uhm.  Damn.  They don't screw around, do they?  I have servers with less
> > memory than that.
> >
> > So, is main memory optional?  Can you just bootstrap the kernel into the
> > cache? :)
>
> Hehehe.  These machines have a minimum configuration of 2GB RAM, if memory
> serves.  And they can connect into an RS/6000 SP switch for future
> expansion.

Yes, but remember, for IBM Mainframes compared to everyone else, this is like
having a 2 or 4 processor server with 512K or 1 meg cache each, with 8 megs
of unified L2 cache for the processors and 128 megs of buffer RAM between the
Proc and a 2GB main RAM.  (no doubt all kickass fast...)

IBM always has to be different.  Remember the Stretch?
or the 360/90? (the vaporware machine that got them sued by Control Data)