[rescue] Re: SGI Video - PC Monitor (*)

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Tue Feb 12 07:44:14 CST 2002

> Okay, it would appear the concensus is that a PC monitor *can* be used with
> the proper adapter, but the monitor must be able to support 1280x1024x60hz,
> and sync on green.

 Well, the consensus is wrong. Sorry, but I just woke up and couldn't make a
contribution to the vote :). In addition to sync on green, the Indigo2 (and
also the Indy that I'm 100% sure of) have also a horizontal, vertical and
composite sync available on the 13w3 connector. Look in the hardware developers
handbook on page 4-74 or check with a scope (yes, I checked with a scope and I
could disconnect the green cable and still get an image). So basically any PC
monitor will work, if it supports the right resolution.

 The startup resolution can be changed too. There are monitor-id pins with
which you can select a start-up resolution, but the 1024x768 resolutions are
commented as for indy only (but listed also for Indigo2). I suspect however
that these will work fine; an Indigo2 will also work with a presenter and for
the presenter the startup resolution is 1024x768.

 And for "setmon":

http://btrzxa.fddi.uni-bayreuth.de/cgi-bin/manpages/setmon/1

"setmon changes the video output format to the one specified; it also
specifies the default video format to be used at system power-up or
graphics initialization.  "

> Now to find such a beastie.  Probably far easier to
> find that than to find a true SGI monitor.  Heck, I might have such a
> monitor in our stockpile here at picarefy.com.

 I had a 13w3 SUN monitor with attached 13w3 cable that worked "out-of-the-box"
with my Indigo. Of course I don't have it anymore, but I think it was a 17E11.

  Michiel