[rescue] Re: Extinct OSs

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Tue Feb 12 03:28:26 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:17:58PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:

> thats a little light on the details.  anybody have a difinitive guide
> to amigas?

I will be glad to answer any questions you have. I've used and programmed
Amigas since their inception. No computer I've had before or since can
compare to the sheer fun of using an Amiga. I learned C on an Amiga, first
with Aztec C, then Lattice C, then SAS C. While I no longer have a
functioning Amiga (I'm cobbling together parts to get a A4000 Toaster/Flyer
running) I jealously hoard my Amiga documentation such as the ROM Kernel
Manuals, to occasionally crack them open and remind myself what a real
programming API looks like.

I feel bad for the folks who missed those machines. I remember the first
time I sat down and played Defender of the Crown-- breathtaking. And let's
not forget Shadow of the Beast. Or The Bard's Tale. Then there's Deluxe
Paint, AmigaVision, VistaPro, Caligari, CanDo, ImageFX, Lightwave,
PageStream, to name a few of the great Amiga apps. It can all make using a
PC feel downright bland.

Anyone remember the old Fred Fish disks?

David