[rescue] RS/6000 board ID

Julius Sridhar vance at ikickass.org
Tue Feb 12 01:13:07 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 nick at snowman.net wrote:

> I belive that card you can't ID is a IBM DASD card, their own disk
> connection standard, sorta like FC as I understand it, but copper
> only.  Someone else can probably provide more/better info as I've never
> actually touched the stuff.

Have you ever seen DASD connectors?  They're bigger than that entire card.
That card is not ESCON, nor FICON, no Parallel Channel.  BTW, there are
fiber-based channels.  They're called FICON.  Anyway, RS/6000's don't have
the I/O to talk straight to channels without the help of coprocessed
channel cards.  That card doesn't have an i960 on it anywhere I could see.
DASD isn't a disk-connection standard, DASD disks are just SCSI.  DASD is
a method of connecting direct-access disk to channelized I/O on a
mainframe.

Peace...  Sridhar