[rescue] Re: Extinct IBM OSs

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Feb 11 22:14:51 CST 2002

>     Jeff> Stoned koalas drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Mike
>     Jeff> Nicewonger exclaimed:
>     >>> so the question is, how are ATM's networked?  Ethernet? or...
>     >>  Of course you are trying to make a joke.....
>     >>
>     >> no they are dial up, not ATM.... silly boy.
>
>     Jeff> Actually, a lot of ATM machines are on dedicated ISDN lines.
>     Jeff> And, according to my landlord, a lot of them are now getting
>     Jeff> T1 links.  Why a 128K ISDN link wouldn't be fast enough for
>     Jeff> ATM transactions, I do not know.
>
> Because soon appearing at an ATM near you will be full video
> commercials. Oh, Joy. Calloo, Callay.

There's an ATM at one of the corner convenience stores that
has color full video commercials.  The ATM has been there
for at least three years.

> Of course, the commercials won't be an inconvenience while you're
> getting _your_ money, because you'll only see the commercials "While
> you're waiting"

The ATM I've seen (and used) plays an animation while it is
idle, after you enter your PIN, and plays a commercial while
you wait for your transaction.  If your account is one of the
bank's you get get one commercial, and if your account is
a different bank's you get another.

I've noticed that the transaction never interrupts the
commercial.  Oh, joy, I get to pay a fee to use the ATM
*AND* get to sit through a commercial.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net