[rescue] Re: Extinct OSs

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 11 20:19:05 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:10:45PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 06:58:38PM +0100, Johan Sj?holm wrote:
> >> Well,
> >> I just gotta say it, Long Live Amiga.
> >> *pets his A3000 and A1200 Tower.*
> >
> >Amiga owners amaze me.  I long wanted one until fairly recently.  Now, I
> >still
> >admire amiga owners, but I no longer want to own or operate such a machine.
>
> Why not?  I'm not familiar with the amiga.

I think the idea of fiddling with all the hacks that are needed to be
reasonably current has lost it's appeal.  If I'm going to work on a machine
that isn't Unix, Windows (blech, but better in my mind than no employment
or not being able to afford somethings), or MacOS, then I want it to be an
elegent design (say a Cray or Symbolics machine).  The Amigas were elegent
when they came out, but the hacks needed to make it modern, well they are
cool, and any given hack may be elegent, but the whole machine is no
longer elegent.  I mean, with a standard Amiga, you at least need a scan
doubler to be able to hook it to a normal moniter, and the image is going to
be flicker city.

That said, if I stumbled across a Flyer system, I'd take it in a heart beat.
So, it wouldn't be a highres display.  It is a darn cool way to implement an
NLE.

--
Joshua D. Boyd