[rescue] freeware.sgi.com PISSES ME OFF

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 11 00:34:02 CST 2002

> Why build #1 and #2 when one has lex and yacc?
> Or is this a dumbass Stallmanism needed for gcc?

gcc is happy with yacc, but will barf on some lex implementations.  I just
install flex because flex is superior in a few minor ways.  The same goes
with m4 and gawk (which I didn't list, but should have).  I've got a few
scripts that will kill Sun m4 and awk--not because ther're nonportable,
but because the dataset they munch is too big for some of the Sun tools'
arbitrarily-sized buffers.

I've never tried the same scripts on SGI m4/awk, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the same limitations existed there.

I swear that GNU is to the point where there are circular dependencies.
If this sort of crap keeps up, the dependencies will become recursive, and
the only way to install GNU-anything on a box will be to have a GNU
cross-building environment from which to bootstrap it!

There are days when I revert to luserdom and actually -like- Micrsoft's
Visual tools because they Just Work(TM), sometimes as expected.

--Jonathan