[rescue] SGI Video to SVGA Monitor Adapter

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 11 00:06:37 CST 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 10:07:04PM -0000, jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote:
>    Lurker's Guide at www.lurkertech.com/lg/ev1s.html seems to say that
> the Indigo2 Video can either take an ABOB (big breakout box) or a "junior"
> (dongle).
>
>    Various other sources seem to imply that it can do chroma-key and
> overlaying. I can see where video capture without compression would be a
> problem, but that shouldn't matter for simple realtime processing, should
> it?

I don't remeber what I said, but I thought it was (and if it wasn't, this
is what I meant) that without the compression board you are limited to
what you can do with ram (reading and writing video to it).  I then gave
an example that had to do with capturing to disk in ram sized passes, which
probably where chaos started to rein.

You don't really need that board to do chroma-keying and overlay, but it
does make life easier.  I forget now what graphics option you said you had.
If you have hardware texturing, then there are lots of cools things that
can be done really easily.  If not, then cool things are still doable, but
require more work to attain realtime performance.

--
Joshua D. Boyd