[rescue] freeware.sgi.com PISSES ME OFF

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Feb 10 22:45:47 CST 2002

> ok, first of all, the whole instpackwhatever dependency thing is really dumb.
> it's driving me crazy.  also, the whole everything on freeware.sgi.com depends
> on everything else on freeware.sgi.com is total insanity.  there has GOT to
> be an easier way of doing this.  is there?

Yup, this is definitely a case in which it's easier to roll your own.
Just snarf gcc and binutils, and then build:

  1) flex
  2) bison
  3) m4
  4) binutils
  5) gcc

Then uninstall the SGI freeware kits, and install as you want from sources
on the 'net.

I forget how large my /usr/src hive is, but it's well over 1GB.

--Jonathan