Extinct IBM OSs (was: Re: [rescue] Personal Progressions)

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Feb 10 19:50:36 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I'll believe it when the machines actually start going away.

That's what I said too. Then they started going away. Ask your
houseguest about our exchange this morning. I used to be an OS/2 admin
at a major financial firm. Then everything was migrated to NT that could
be, a few services were droppped altogether, and finally there were just
four OS/2 servers left, connected two each to two optical jukeboxes
running some software that couldn't be ported. They're still there, but
that's it. From OS/2 on a PS/2 on every one of 6000 desktops and servers
galore to those measly 4, in under a year.

Followed by the past two years of not a single OS/2 ad in any of the
local papers, and three headhunters who promised to call me first if
they find one... from where I sit, it looks dead, Jim.

Sridhar says he can get me some leads in NYC. I'll bite.

---sambo