[rescue] Re: Sun KB on PC (was Re: desperately need a window manager)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Feb 10 15:42:08 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 08:31:23AM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> > They also have a USB to Sun converter (#5188) in case you get a Sunblade
>
> Why would you buy one of these, when its cheap enough to just buy a USB
> type 6 and mouse?  In fact, you'd *get* a T6 usb with the machine if you
> bought it new...
>
> I use a Logitech USB optical mouse with my USB sparc boxes, though.

I'm not saying everyone would want one. The thought that comes to mind for
me is wanting to hook a USB Sun up to a non-USB KVM. I honestly haven't
looked into whether there's a cheaper USB adapter cable for the Blackbox
KVMs I have, but if for some perverted reason I wanted my SB100 ftp server
or one of the SB1000s on my KVM, it would make some sense to convert it.

So I'd want a Sun keyboard on the console of the KVM (probably a type 5 or
type 6 with the standard Sun cable to the KVM) and it would go out to the
USB Suns through converters. If there's a cheaper way to do it, assuming I
want one KVM for 16 machines, and most of them are not USB, I'm open to
suggestions :) But then again my SB100 and SB1000s are on serial lines to
an Annex anyway, so it's academic.

--Rob