[rescue] Personal Progressions

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Sun Feb 10 11:10:59 CST 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 05:47:39AM +0100, Iggy Drougge wrote:
    [snip]
> very quiet. I've always doubted their claims about being
> the world's most popular 32-bit OS, mind you...

I don't doubt it at all. Don't mistake what ships on home PeeCees for
what actually drives the market.

Around 1997 I was working for a consulting company at a large bank in
New York (you figure it out) and they had thousands of PeeCees running
OS/2 v2.21 and some running Warp. Many were dual-booting OS/2 and Win95
and new rollouts were going NT4 but OS/2 was widely deployed to provide
access to PM applications developed in-house and on the strength and
stability of the LU6.2 support. I've heard that other corporations had
similar user bases.

And, crossing into another thread, there were thousands of microchannel
PS/2 systems in use. They might still be in use. A few months ago I
found my four 3.5" disk compressed collection of ADFs and a couple of
disks with compressed IPL disk images, remembered the horror of being
in the field and needing those, sighed and threw them out.

- Ross