[rescue] Sun KB on PC (was Re: desperately need a window manager)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Feb 10 10:31:23 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 11:03:04PM -0500, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> > >  what i'd really like to do is get my Sun
> > > Type5c hooked up.  that would own.
> > They make an adapter for that, don't they?
>
> There's an adapter to use PS2 keyboards on a SPARC, but not the other way
> around.

Actually you're wrong on that. :)

The first match on google for "sun type 5 pc" was
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/sunkbd.html which tells you how to
build your own adapter. They do link to Ultraspec but the link is no
longer valid.

Ultraspec still sells their #5189 converter that plugs a Sun type 4 or
later keyboard and mouse into a PS/2 keyboard and mouse port (even SGI or
HP?). Downside is it's $130, but it's within an order of magnitude of the
other direction converter.

https://www.ultraspec.com/ultra/product.asp?sku=5189&dept%5Fid=2401

They also have a USB to Sun converter (#5188) in case you get a Sunblade
100 and want to use your type 6 keyboard and maxipad mouse on it. A bit
more expensive, but some people spend more money than others.

I've never bought anything from them, usual disclaimers apply, but the
product does exist.

--Rob