[rescue] 10Base-FL

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Feb 9 13:24:08 CST 2002

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 02:34, Harri Haataja wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:31:27PM -0600, Scott Newell wrote:
> > Could be that the cheap magnetics on nics are more to blame than cable--if
> > the cable is precision twisted pair, decent common mode rejection would
> > cancel out the interference.
>
> Apart from galvanic and frequencies that are just right.
>
> But, indeed, cheapness is probably the reason you see more UTP than STP
> around. As usual.

I dunno if cheapness is the only reason, or even the primary reason.
Have you ever tried running STP?  That stuff is a bitch to work with.
It's at least twice as "heavy" as UTP, doesn't bend well, and leaves
these darn little metal splinters everwhere.  I hated running that
stuff.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.