[rescue] OT: SGI Power series help

Geoff Koehler koehler at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 8 23:03:22 CST 2002

Hi All,

Well, I finally re-wired the basement and plugged in my "new" SGI 4D/380S
(no graphics).  It was from a local university and was supposedly functional
when retired.  Anyway, I get the following self test messages out of the
serial port

[snip]
Floating Point Unit                    PASSED.
Sync Bus Controller                    PASSED.
I/O Mapper, Init Vectors, MODE Regs             PASSED.
SCSI Controller                 PASSED.
Data and Intruction Caches            PASSED.
Full Memory Test             PASSED.
MP Caches                     PASSED.
Initialize Local Hardware!          PASSED

CPU        Local Diag        1st Cache         Memory        MP caches
0            PASSED            PASSED            PASSED        PASSED
[all the way to}
7            PASSED            PASSED            PASSED        PASSED

Sizing and clearing 160 Mb of memory!  Only clear 32MB of physical memory
Initialize local hardware!
FAILED POWER-ON DIAGNOSTIC
Boot stand alone diagnostic to analyze the problems.

And then it goes away.  I cant seem to interact with the monitor at all
after this.  Is there a specific key sequence to dump it back into the
monitor (ie BK, CNTL-C, etc).  Is it talking out of another serial port?
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoff Koehler
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Home of the SART Observatory