[rescue] desperately need a window manager

Iggy Drougge optimus at canit.se
Fri Feb 8 19:26:00 CST 2002

Bill Bradford skrev:

>On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 05:54:16PM -0500, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>> I'd say my brother's Athlon XP is worse.  A few split seconds of runtime
>> with a slightly loose heat sink.... cookohrama... smoke etc.  Piece of
>> crap.  The cpu substrate is a strange organic material now rather than
>> ceramic.

>Four seconds without a heatsink is what AMD says.  Four seconds then POOF.

Such things should only be sold to makers of parallel supercomputers, not to
home customers. Get back into the R'n'D department until you can make a
processor which doesn't burn down the house!

>Thats why my latest x86 system is Intel-based.  At least Intel will slow down
> the chip to keep it from frying.  I cracked the die on my first Athlon while
> putting the heat sink on (and it took 3 days to die; until the thermal
>grease got into the crack.. *bamf*).  I didnt want to have to go through that
>again, so the latest box is a celeron 850.

IMNSHO, any processor which requires a fan is broken by design.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

Among the best Swedish achievements are those that closely combine social and
architectural developments, such as the carefully planned new towns built in
recent years outside Stockholm: Vdllingby and Farsta.
   J.M. Richards, Modern Architecture