[rescue] 10Base-FL

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Fri Feb 8 19:17:34 CST 2002

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:12:29PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >
> >   There's also the idea of ACTUALLY GETTING PACKETS THROUGH if you're
> > running the cable anywhere near fluorescent lighting fixtures.
> >
> >       -Dave
>
> Can you elaborate a little more on this?

10BaseT isn't quite as finicky about it...but if you run it or 100BaseT
near a flourescent lighting fixture, the RF and electrical noise will make
that cable run nearly useless.

A lot of cable installers don't grok that.  They think "Oh, I'm putting in
Cat5 cable, so I can run 100Megabit over it".  Part of true cat5
certification is ensuring that no cable run comes within a certain
distance of flourescent lighting or power runs.