[rescue] Personal Progressions

Iggy Drougge optimus at canit.se
Fri Feb 8 16:41:24 CST 2002

Jeff Borisch skrev:

>Joshua D Boyd wrote:

>> Sigh.  I don't require speed.  But still, being attached to an IBM PC?  To
>> have that feeling usually means that the machine did something special for
>> you.  Kinda like how people feel about their first car, etc.

>We're not talking Craptivas here. Old PS/2 s are pretty darn close to what
>folks around here call "real computers". At least for desktop use. It loses
>some points for being Intel, but MCA works pretty decent.

The best point about MCA is those blue card holders. My grandmother should be
able to install cards in a PS/2. Those handles are so friendly-looking (and
useful, you can write each card's designation there), and you don't need any
tools at all.

>My Model 80 rates as being my tallest computer. As well as the computer most
>likely to withstand getting run over by my car. As for its qualifications
>for being a great table leg, I'd put it up against a 3/260 any day. (-:

>Sure, it wasn't *designed* to run unix, but it is still a solid machine.

PS/2s simply feel so ruggedly IBMish. They reek quality. When I told a friend
of mine a while ago about the industrial PS/2 line, he was surprised. The
normal PS/2s are so rugged, he didn't think there was a need for special
industrial versions.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

Cretin and UNIX both start with C.