[rescue] desperately need a window manager

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 8 15:13:46 CST 2002

> > Are you using gcc, or did you also get MIPSpro?
>
> i don't know.  where would i look for MIPSpro?  also, i only see gcc-3 on

Either money or friends.  You'll need a fair amount of the former, as
they're expensive to buy.  $800 per language or thereabouts.

You'll want to keep GCC around, anyway, as a lot of open-source stuff is
to buggy to be compiled with MIPSpro.  MIPSpro as about as anal-retentive
ANSI as you get, and it throws screaming fits over badly-written code.

Not that this is a bad thing, but it'll keep you from building a lot of
the code that's out there.  I try to run my code through MIPSpro every
N builds or so, as it catches a -lot- of errors that GCC dosen't, and it
tends to generate smaller, faster code.

> freeware.sgi.com.  i don't really want 3 do i?  i probably want 2.95.3, but
> where do i get binaries?  or should i build 2.95.3 with 3?

GCC 3 sucks so hard that it can't even build 2.95.3 without dying a
flaming death.  I've got an installable tarball (untar, make install,
installs into /usr/freeware) that I built yesterday.  It's here:

  http://jonathan.celestrion.net/gcc/gcc-2.95.3.irix6.tar.gz

Well, it'll be there as soon as gzip finishes, so give it a sec.

If I knew what I was doing, I'd give you a homemade tardist, but I haven't
learned inst packages yet.

> > Maybe you can just beef up the existing fans?
>
> that's a thought.

Yeah, better than putting fans in the xio slot, too.  Air's not supposed
to circulate out those slots--that's why there're baffles there.

--Jonathan