[rescue] Anal-Retentiveness and Source Code

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 7 21:07:14 CST 2002

> By "IRIX on everything", do you mean just desktop systems, or headless
> servers as well?

I run IRIX on headless servers all the time.  I like the OS.  Indigo Magic
(to which you might have thought I was referring) is okay, but it could
stand some improvements:

   1) Better virual-desktop support, implemented like Afterstep's /
      IceWM's
   2) Get rid of setuid bits pretty-much everywhere.
   3) Get rid of the new HTML/Java/Javascript system manager and revert
      back to what we had in 5.3, but try to implement it through
      capabilities or at least group delegation so that we don't need
      objectserver.
   4) Editable soundschemes.
   5) A nicer interface to "actions"

   .. I could go on for days.  It's nowhere near perfect.

Really, I like IRIX as an OS.  The only thing the rubs me a little raw is
that the C++ runtime library isn't so standard.

My #1 nit-picky reason for liking IRIX:  out of the box, backspace is.....
backspace!  Not DEL, but BS.  Like it's marked on the key caps of every
terminal and console make in the US and elsewhere.  And... get ready for
this... it -doesn't- switch when the window system loads!

I mean, the DEL->BS stuff is brain-damaged enough, but -why- couldn't Sun
at least be consistent about it?  DEC got it right.  Linux distros
(usually) get it right.  Why should rubout not be bound to backspace?

--Jonathan