[rescue] wild far-out theory.

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 7 18:03:14 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On February 7, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Anybody know if the instruction set, etc, is publicly documented?
>
>   FYI I have detailed architectural information for the XMP
> family...maybe enough to write an emulator..
>
>     -Dave

My advisor has a full CRAY1 manual, the interesting thing about it is the
fact that it was donated to him by some high up at IBM. They went to a
conference by Mr. Cray at Stanford (undercover I guess), so they got full
acces to the cray-1 architecture manual. Attached to it is an internal IBM
memo that had a report on the system and whether or not they considered it
a threat to IBM. In short IBM was not very impressed, and they did not
considered it much of a threat.....

As my advisor says, they were right... because IBM is still in bidness and
CRAY is no more...

I can try to xerox tha manual, it is pretty thick! if anyone is
interested.