[rescue] Personal Progressions

Steve Pacenka sp17 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 6 17:57:53 CST 2002

My pathway to [rescue]:

First video game console: never used one!
First computer used: IBM 360 mainframe
First computer owned: Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I, 4K, Tiny C interpreter!
First computer that I really got into: Apple II+ with UCSD p-System
Most influential machine: Macintosh 128K
First Sun: Sparcstation IPC
First SPARC: IPC
First SMP machine: Sparc 10 2xSM51
Favorite machine: Sony VAIO Z505LS thin laptop
Biggest machine used: IBM 370 mainframe
Best bookends: pair of IPCs

Why found [rescue]: Volunteer hardware recycling operation received
donations of about 20 Unix systems (HP 9000, Sun, IBM RS/6k, DEC MIPS)
with no one else interested in them.

The Tiny C interpreter (on audio cassette with a notebook showing the
whole source in assembler and C) led me down the wrong path in 1979.
Had to have a C compiler and shell+tools for every work and home system
since then.

-- regards, SP