[rescue] There is a reason I moved from central PA

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 6 17:46:43 CST 2002

Fried Chicken On Sale In Honor Of Black History Month

The Giant Food Stores company apologized Tuesday for a promotion at one of
its supermarkets.

The chain's Union Deposit store in Dauphin County, Pa., advertised a sale on
fried chicken -- in honor of Black History Month.

The store special featured a sign that read "In honor of Black History
Month, we at Giant are offering a special savings on fried chicken."

An official at Giant said the special was only at the Dauphin County store.
He said a customer complained about the sign, and the sign was taken down.

Store customer Lance Sellers said he was shocked by the sign and said that
when he approached the store manager, the manager asked why it was
offensive.

Paula Harris of the area chapter of the NAACP said the sign reinforces
racist stereotypes.

"Not all African Americans eat fried chicken, greens and chitlins," Harris
said. "We like salad, roast beef, low-fat chicken, just like everybody
else."

Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press.