[rescue] SS2 Sleds / Power / SCSI cables?

Eric Johnson eric_j at oasis.novia.net
Wed Feb 6 08:01:15 CST 2002

MemoryX has these (the brackets) for $5.80, the SCSI cable for $5.30 and
the power cables for $3.30.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> > > I've just acquired a pair of SS2s, but I need 3.5" drive
> > sleds for the
> > > buggers, along with the short(?) SCSI cables and power cables.
> >
> > worst case, these things aren't that hard to make.  just use
> > your imagination
> > for the brackets, but short SCSI cable and short power cable
> > should be obviously
> > easy.
>
> Sorry, no spare drive sleds here--our two SS2s each have 2 424MB
> drives, though, so if you want to give me a 4GB drive I'll trade
> you a drive sled for it...
>
> Seriously, the solution (in lieu of the "real" brackets) that
> someone used on the Cycle 5 that I bought was to run a long
> screw in through the holes in the bottom of the case, with a
> big honking washer on it to keep it seated outside the case.
> That works pretty well.
>
> sunsunsun.net used to have these brackets for sale--even if they
> don't list them, you might send them an e-mail.
>
> As for the short cables, the simplest thing I found was to buy
> a single long 50-pin internal cable with connectors for 4 or 5
> drives, and cut small sections out of the middle with a
> connector on each end.  Again, works pretty well.
>
> Good luck!
>
>   --Rip

-- Eric Johnson

We trained hard -- but it seemed that every time
we were beginning to form up into teams, we would
be reorganized. I was to learn later in life we
tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing,
and a wonderful method it can be for creating the
illusion of progress while producing confusion,
inefficiency and demoralization.

-- Petronius Arbiter, 66 AD

   /*\              ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
   \ /              - AGAINST HTML EMAIL
    X               - AGAINST MS ATTACHMENTS
   / \