[rescue] SS10/20 death

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Feb 5 23:35:30 CST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   That's cool.  That's one of the things I like about VAXen.  You have
> to do a "who" (or a "show user" or whatever for whatever OS you're
> running) to see if there's anyone on there with you...because you
> couldn't tell from the responsiveness of the machine. :-)

Two of the first REAL UNIX systems I used were a VAX 11/780 and a
CCI Tahoe, both running BSD 4.3 Tahoe.  I remember the Tahoe was a
little flaky (it was an acquisition from an employee), but when it
was running, it was sweet.  The load average (yes, I know not a great
measure) had to get to 8 or 9 before you'd notice a slowdown...

Of course, this was back when the cool guys had a serial hard line
into their room... and the rest of us used what were basically large
terminal servers wired into jacks in the dorms...

--Kurt