[rescue] Ultra1

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Feb 5 22:35:38 CST 2002

Well, my Ultra1 from Ken arrived with it's 2 gig harddrive.  Well, after
sending him the payment, I started having second thoughts about the only
2 gig thing.  So now I'm staring at the open CD-ROM bay, and seeing this
jack that attaches to the back plain of the hard drive cage, and the plug
on it looks suspisionsly like it is supposed to connect over to the missing
CD Rom.  And this makes me wonder if I could perhaps slip a regular SCSI
harddrive in hear rather than wait around for an ebay ordered SCA drive
to show up on my door step.

An additional reason that this has appeal is that it leaves that second
SCA slot up for a latter addition.  So if I find that 2+4 is too small,
rather than try to figure a way for the host of the machine to swap drives
without loosing things, there will still be room to expand with another
drive.

Oh, BTW, in the end I've pretty much decided on Solaris for this machine.
Most schemes and lisps have built in compilers rather than using the GCC
base, and most of them seem to support Solaris, but not Open BSD/sparc64.
This just means more of a security headache I suppose.  Downloading
the Solaris CDs from Sun now.

--
Joshua D. Boyd