SM[567]1/HyperSPARC comparison (was RE: [rescue] SS10/20 death)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Feb 5 16:58:24 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:04:01PM -0500, Jeff Brendle wrote:

> heh, and mine is a SM71 + SM81 ... one of these days I should buy
> another SS10/20 and whatever CPU I am missing and have two "proper"
> machines. But, fuggit, for now it's working well... and kinda "funny"
> to talk about, I'll agree there....

howdy bligh, nice to see you actually posting instead of just lurking. :)

everyone, i want you to meet the guy who introduced me to UNIX.  he gave me
an account on an IBM RT running 4.3 BSD 10 years ago.  i owe my geekiness to
him. :)

> that wouldn't be bad info to generate, come to think of it. that way
> people would know what the different processor families
> (Super/SuperII/Micro/Hyper) and models are capable of ...  I'm sure

i'd love to know how it all works out.  but what suite do we use that gets us
the "best" info available?  dave?

> we have a sufficient mix of hardware out there on the list to get
> most things covered if someone were to locate a suite we could all
> use to collect this data.... I'd be willing to run them on my ss10bsx
> w/ the above CPUs under Sol9. Know that Wonko (Brian H.) had a
> HyperSPARC, single CPU I think....and an Ultra1 was it?

sparc20 - 2xSM71, 512M
sparc20 - 150Mhz CPU, 384M
sparc2  - 75Mhz PowerUP CPU upgrade, 64M
sparc1+ - 25Mhz sparc CPU, unknown quantity of memory
sparcLX - 50Mhz superSPARC, 96M
ultra1  - 143Mhz UltraSPARC, 128M

and at work i have available:

ultra2 - 2x300Mhz UltraSPARC, 2G ram (my desktop, WOO!!)
a whole shitload of ultra based servers from ue4500 and down.

one thing i'd be especially interested in is how the X1 stacks up against
a "normal" sparc CPU.

ok, i'm going to go eat now.

-brian