[rescue] Re: SM[567]1/HyperSPARC comparison (was RE: [rescue] SS10/20death)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Feb 5 16:47:18 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:20:28PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > SS20 w/4xSM51 Sol8 maxxed on RAM (360?) after sticking in 2x4M VSIMMs to
> > feed the 2 SX's (yes, I've got a daughterboard), and a CG6.
>
>   Hmm...I'd say you're doing about all you can do until NetBSD/sparc
> goes SMP.  Solaris8 is pretty nice (that's saying a lot coming from a
> long-time Solaris hater like me) but it is FAR FAR FAR from
> lightweight.

the SX is probably one of the slowest framebuffers you can get in a sparc.
well, a cg3 might give it a run for it's money.  but his performance issue
is most definitely framebuffer related and not at all related to OS or
amount of memory.

oh, and the answer to your question sambo, it's 384M total.

-brian