[rescue] Re: SM[567]1/HyperSPARC comparison

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Feb 5 16:49:48 CST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I've mixed speeds in mbus machines plenty of times.  It works fine.

I think http://mbus.sunhelp.org/ has the best sounding advice on this.

"You should not mix MXCC cache-controllers of differing major revisions,
on the same MBus/XBus."

I suspect that is the biggest reason why people have problems with
different Mbus modules and why differing speeds are so often discouraged.
It's a nice general rule because many times the faster processor came
with an upgraded cache-controller....

I don't have empirical evidence to back this up, but it makes a LOT of
sense to me....

--Kurt