[rescue] Re: SS10/20 death

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Feb 5 12:50:59 CST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On February 5, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > >   The SS1 is not based on the SM100. ;)
> >
> > It was the fact that I HAD MY OWN SUN WORKSTATION, I coudl care less which
> > cpu it was based on. 8-)
>
>   Oh don't get me wrong...I'd take an SM100-based system over a PeeCee
> any day.  Or an SS1 for that matter.

That's pretty sad. I'd find it hard to choose an SM100-based machine over,
say, the Netframe quad ppro 200 outside my office. Heck, even with the
SMP-incapable BSDs I bet it would beat a SM100 and be worth the effort.

If I ever get it loaded with memory and disk, I'll probably put FreeBSD on
it so the other three processors will be usable. It has 16 72pin slots
(not sure on the memory specs), 8 hotswap SCA disk bays and three power
supplies (separate cords)... more than my apartment can handle right now
unfortunately.

--Rob