[rescue] SS10/20 death

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 5 10:33:34 CST 2002

I'm surprised that Dave (he of the PDP-8[0]) can't even
come up with a good enough reason to keep an SM-100
around--but I would revise my statement--an SM-100 is
only of use to someone who has a 6x0MP with no
processors installed, no money *at all* to spend, and
no interest in running a recent/current OS.  Otherwise
the SM41/SM51s are definitely a better way to go.

In fact, I would rather have a dual SM51 system than
a quad 100MHz Hypersparc system--but that's just me.

> > The
> > only MBus CPU I had with bent pins just caused
> > POST/boot failure--and it was an SM100.  Then again,
> > I may just have gotten lucky.
>
>   You were lucky.  I've had lots of mbus modules with bent
>   pins that caused powerup test failures.

Did they actually short out things enough to crispy-critter
the power supply?  That's the part that seems strange--I would
have expected there to be an overcurrent trip of some sort
instead of just frying the P/S.

> > some possibility that a fuse on the MB might have
> > blown--maybe someone else on the list knows the right
> > place to look.
>
>   I don't think there are any mbus power fuses on the SS10 or SS20.

Thanks for the correction.  If all else fails for Brent,
I have an Axil SPARC 10 clone that I believe might be
sort-of-excess soon.

And Dave, when are you coming up here so I can buy you
the dinner I owe you?

[0]  Note that a PDP-8 *is* worth keeping as a work of art
     if for no other reason...while an SM-100 really is
     just a piece of crap.

  --Rip