[rescue] SS10/20 death

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 5 10:07:20 CST 2002

On February 5, Brent B.Powers wrote:
> So, I picked up some ross dual 100 cpu's on ebay. Happily, I grabbed
> one and threw it into a 20 (that had been running an sm71) The power
> light flashed, and that's the last thing that happened.
>
> I removed the ross, replased the sm71, still nothing but a quick flash
> of the power light.
>
> I took the sm71, threw it into a ss10 that had been running dual
> sm61's. That was fine.
>
> Here comes the really stupid move. I took the ross, threw that into
> the ss10. Nothing. Ever again. With any processor.
>
> Does anyone have a clue if these systems can be rescued/restored? The
> Ross was supposed to be tested, and I actually have 4
> others. Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of sparcs.
>
> Suggestions? Condolences? Ice Cream?

  Wow...time to beat the crap out of the guy on eBay that sold you
processors that smoked your machines.

  I'd bet on the power supplies.  SS10/SS20 power supplies shouldn't be
difficult to find.  Check with listmember Big Mike
<twmaster at twmaster.com> he might have some power supplies from
machines with trashed cases.  Mike?

     -Dave

--