[rescue] Solaris 8 Differences

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Feb 4 21:08:25 CST 2002

[ On Monday, February 4, 2002 at 20:39:11 (-0500), George Adkins wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Solaris 8 Differences
>
> On Monday 04 February 2002 05:53 pm, you wrote:
> > > Dumptrucks and 18 wheelers do not generally set speed records.
> >
> > No, but I know of a Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel that does the quarter mile
> > in low 13s :)
> >
> with 8 yards of gravel in the bed?
>
> would it even *move* with 8 yards of gravel in the bed...?

If you dumped 8 cu. yards of gravel towards the bed of any "3/4-ton"
pickup truck (I'm assuming the Dodge "2500" is more or less an
equivalent rating to a Chev/GM "2500"), you'd damn near bury the whole
back end of the truck!  (not to mention probably bending the frame,
maybe breaking the rear axle and maybe also popping the rear wheels off
the hubs, etc., especially if it was pea sized, wet, and dumped from an
8-foot wide bucket!)

[[8 cubic yards of water would weigh about 13,483 lbs., which is only
about 7 times as much weight as my "1/2-ton" truck is rated for (nearly
one ton), and no doubt still well over what any 3/4-ton is rated for]]

--
								Greg A. Woods