[rescue] Programmers [was Re: I joined the SGI cult... Zeitnet anyone?]

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Mon Feb 4 20:20:02 CST 2002

>>   Microsoft programmers and Windows weenies are two common examples.
>>
>I didn't realize that they had aquired the right to be called programmers...

Funny, I just started reading "Crypto" by Steven Levy last night.  There's
a quote from Richard Schroeppel (MIT math whiz) about Whit Diffie after
learning of WD's work on the large number routines in Macsyma: "To my mind,
writing a set of big number routines crosses you over a threshold.  It's
like passing the Bar; it means you really know how to use a computer and
you really know how to do arithmetic."

So, what does it take?  Do you get points for a check from Don Knuth?
(Fingers crossed...)

newell