[rescue] Solaris 8 Differences

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Feb 4 13:44:22 CST 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 02:24 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 12:36:21PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > > heh, another person who wants to "work" at the Console...
> > > heh heh...
> >
> >   Yeah.  Heathens.
>
> So, when you sit at your max impact, do you work on the console, or do you
> have a serial console while working on display:0.0?

This was covered under the earlier information about graphics workstations.
However, suffice it to say that while you are working on the local head of
your I2 MaxImpact workstation, you can display the console terminal in an
x-window on your screen, or you can hook a serial terminal up to the box and
have it separately.  My Onyx is set up with a console (vt220) and a head as
well (GDM20D11 & Keyboard/mouse).

Consoles are text displays.
do you want your graphical workstation to write system messages across your
root x-window's background image? what font would it use? what if anoter
window was covering it? or would you rather that the text just appeared
floating in the middle of your workspace?

George