[rescue] Fossilized SGIs (Was: Re: I joined the SGI cult... Zeitnet anyon e?)

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Feb 4 13:34:02 CST 2002

> > Themal changes cause expansion, contraction, motion...
> > Micron by Micron, the Gold is worn away,
> > Leaving exposed the real structure of the socket's teeth...
> > Copper (or aluminum).
> > now, we have again...
> > Two Metals...
> > Different valences...
> > Humidity... (you get the idea...)
>
> Wind and rain slowly erode the plastic case...
> Climatic changes induce constant thermal
> expansion and contraction, breaking down the
> epoxy binders in both cards and chips...
> Blowing dust eventually covers the system,
> Mineral substitution slowly takes place, replacing
> organic components (like the operator) with
> inorganic elements...
>
> Again, as one of the above posters indicated, the
> operative question is "How Long?"

till the contacts *may* begin to act unreliably?  18 to 36 months.
if you put tin simms in gold sockets, pull them and wipe down the contacts
once a year.

Gold simms in tin sockets... keep the humidity low, and use a corrosion
resistant cleaning solution on the socket contacts after buffing with an
orangewood stick every 18 months.