[rescue] OT: Antenna mounting to existing steel?

Chris Kennedy chris at mainecoon.com
Mon Feb 4 12:22:59 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   The pole mounting arraengement for GPS antennas isn't a Ham thing,
> it's a marine thing.  Go to your local Boaters' World or Boat US and
> look for antenna mounting posts.  The mount is threaded, 1.25"
> diameter if memory serves.  This is a standard thing, and either store
> will have many different mounting aids with those threaded ends on
> them.

It's certainly a marine thing.  However, it's also an EMT/thinwall thing.
That's how mine is mounted; a standard threaded EMT fitting attaches to
the GPS unit; that in turn is attached to a length of EMT that is attached
to the house by standard EMT straps.  I think the total outlay was less than
a buck.

--
Chris Kennedy
chris at mainecoon.com
http://www.mainecoon.com
PGP fingerprint: 4E99 10B6 7253 B048 6685  6CBC 55E1 20A3 108D AB97